Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Witches' Night Before Halloween


I never anticipated how exciting it would be to work at a Deaf school and be pregnant. Today was the funniest story yet! My friend had just finished reading Witches Night Before Halloween to her class. A character in the book is named Potbelly Pat. The teacher explained to the students that you get a pot belly if you eat too much food like candy or too many sodas. They headed towards the playground after their class period ended. As one was headed out the door, he turned to me and stated, "Miss Michelle, you have a potbelly!"

I couldn't help but laugh as I shrieked, "NOOOOOOOO! I HAVE A BABY IN MY BELLY! NOT A POTBELLY! The teacher emerged from her room down the hall laughing and said as they read the story, she explained the meaning of a potbelly. Seeing that they had referenced my belly in a previous story when the character was pregnant, the children asked, "Like Miss Michelle??" The teacher said she replied, "OOOH NO! Miss Michelle has a baby in her belly. Her belly is not from candy or soda!"

I'm guessing that didn't sink in with a select few but it sure made for a good laugh in the hallway!

3 comments:

Deb said...

The kids probably think Miss Michelle has been eating lots of candy corn.

The Cain family said...

sadly, I have had none. And I still haven't had any of those marshmellow creme pumpkins. . .the ones that are similar to candy corn.

Anonymous said...

THat is hilarious, you have to tell me who said that, you can initial it or whatever, that is way funny! Miss Sassy pants finally emerged this week in class, I don't know what her deal was, she was moved from green to yellow for interrupting. This is the second time this year which I am veyr grateful for most kids get moved to Red several times a week adn seh has never made it past yellow. Anyways, I go to take her FM off and Kenz comes to me and gets a little teary and said she was on yellow, so I said, 'uh oh, we are going to have to have a little talk about this." Then her teacher came and told me how she said, "uh oh Kenz I am going ot have to move you to yellow, I bet mommy wil not be happy about that." then Kenz says, "That's ok, I am going to trick my mommy." I was glad she didn't "trick" me. She came home and wrote her teacher a sorry note. ANyways I just got a job with ASDB! I am excited to get to work with the few kiddos here who have implants and help them learn how to use them a little better. Hope things are good and I wish I could say my belly was a baby, but mine really is a potbelly!