Saturday, September 06, 2008

Check-up on Baby Cain

We went for the 6 month check-up today. This was the last one before they start coming every two weeks til December and then every week after that. Adam and waiting are enemies. I think this is a product of his lack of medical issues. He never has to go to the doctor so he never really has to wait for much of anything. He was getting fiesty again. Knowing our track record however, I begged him not to make me laugh when Dr. Jaacks was diong the doppler to find the heartrate. (See last post on check-ups if you don't understand.)

Dr. Jaacks finally came in. She gave us a speech about how now the baby could live outside the womb if s/he were born early. And then gave us a speech about all the things that should send me to the hospital before my due date. It was rather comforting (sarcasm). Finally, it was time to listen to the heartbeat. She slathered the goo on my stomach and pushed around to find Baby Cain. She did and had stopped moving the wand long enough for our child to beat the crap out of it seconds later. Baby Cain has some pretty good hand-eye coordination in there because it hit the wand dead on 4 times. I couldn't believe it the first two times and it almost made me laugh (the one thing I am trying to avoid!). The third time the doctor said, "Wow, you've got an active one in there. Doesn't like to have it's space invaded either" Adam was a very proud father at this point. He shared with the doctor how every time he pokes my belly, the baby responds with a hearty kick or punch (so much fun for mom). I think it is probably a sign of what's to come. . .a very active child with a very tired momma! SOOO, everything was normal. Heartrate was 154.

I am having some psychological issues. I know weight gain is normal but it's a killer to get on that scale at the Dr's office. She assured me that 14 pounds (yes, I said 14 pounds) was perfect for this point in the pregnancy (25 weeks) and that it was only going to add up faster from here. It's fun when you weigh more than your husband. Adam was glad she said something because I am sure he is sick and tired of answering me when I say, "Are you sure the rest of me is not getting bigger? Are you SURE it's only my belly??"

My other psychological issues include the rate at which the future is coming. I think summer gave my a false sense that this process was gonna take a while. December is so far away! Now that school has started and the weeks rush by, December is looming. We scheduled the rest of my doctor appointments through December when we were there yesterday. I felt like I was going to throw up. I am excited to meet our kicking creature but there is some anxiety involved in the process! I know millions of people have done it so I will be fine but it's freaking me out right now! Trust in the Lord, right?

Belly pictures will come soon. I will try to take some today in between scheduling birthing classes and test driving cars. Much love!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fourteen pounds, you are doing great! It is crazy how fast time goes, especially that first semester when there is Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, it all just blurs together. I am so excited for you! Kenz got an award for being teh most behaved in her class for the month of August. Her teacher says she is so polite, she always raises her hand, says things like, "excuse me, but I am having trouble hearing you right now, can I turn my FM up?" or "Miss Gauwna, your shoes are incredibly cute today!" or Thank you so much for my new name tag." Who would have thought that my Kenzie would get a good behavior award. She tells me that she is soooooo good at her new school Palmcroft and she is never naughty like she was at Desert Voices. So she was definitely aware of her sassy times, we will see how long this lasts :) Can't wait ot see your new preg picts!

Tracy Jabbal said...

YAY! i am so excited to meet baby cain too! don't be nervous! you're gonna be an awesome mom & im sure that adam will be an awesome dad! :O) have fun car shopping and at birthing class! you sound busy!