Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Excitement with germs

Today was an exciting day. I came to work expecting business as usual and what do I get? I get kicked out of my room. We sent one of my kids home yesterday (we'll call him Rash Child #3) because he was covered in this horrid rash. . .the same horrid rash the pair of brothers had last week (we'll call them Rash Children #1 and #2). So this morning, we take our morning run and we go to sit down for circle time when my door cracks open. Our director, Emily, sticks her head in my room at 8:40 and says, "I need to talk to you." So, she says, Rash Child #3's mom calls and said she thinks it's fifth's disease. She tells me to get my phone and call my doctor. AND I will not be allowed to be in my room or around the kids today til we get the diagnosis of the Rash Children and my current immunities in check. Apparently Fifth's Disease and pregnancy are enemies. As I walk out the door to get my phone out of my truck, Rash Children #1 and #2's mom signs to me how excited she is that I am pregnant. She proceeds to give me a congratulatory hug. She did not, however, explain that she is currently covered in the same RASH! I head straight to the bathroom to wash some more after I leave my husband a disturbing phone message.

So, I spend my morning in the lunchroom making supplies for my classroom and waiting for my doctor to return my call. When she does call back they check my two bouts of bloodwork and tell me, as a teacher, I have been exposed to all childhood diseases including Fifth's disease which makes me immune to all of them. I let our director and principal know this shortly after they put me back in my room at 11:00 because both moms of the 3 Rash Children have called and said their doctors said "If it itches, it's not Fifths!" That's good because I feel really itchy right now!

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Geez... That is quite the ordeal! I'm glad everything is okay, but I'm sorry you feel itchy. I know it's really an unfortunate feeling...

Deb said...

Between you and me I think some parents are not too intelligent.

I am having a crazy day. I have already cried to Patricia and dad.
Thank godnness for family.

Anonymous said...

I had fifths disease when I was pregnant with Hannah and everything turned out just fine. I got to have lots of extra sonograms becuase of it and even got to find out the gender at 16 weeks! So glad you don't have it!

Courtney Alban