Tuesday, March 11, 2008

*Warning* Another Funny Preschool Story

So, this semester we have been doing units on community helpers and common places my kids would experience (grocery store, sporting goods store, etc). A couple weeks ago we did doctor's office. I taught them the basic vocab and for the funny word of the week I had them listen to me say "sphygmomenometer." In laymans terms, a blood pressure machine.

Soon I had 5 or so kids running around the room chanting, "SPHYG-MO-MEN-AH-METER, SPHYG-MO-MEN-AH-METER, SPHYG-MO-MEN-AH-METER." I wrote in my newsletter that it was our funny word of the week and a couple of them really thought it was hilarious to say.

A teacher at school who is also a mom came to me yesterday to tell me a funny story. She said she had taken her daughter to Urgent Care on Friday because she had pink eye and they couldn't get into the doctor. The CNA called her daughter back to take her vitals and guess what word pops out of my student's mouth, "Look mom, it's a sphygomenometer!" Mom said that the CNA dropped his pencil on the floor and said, "I am in pre-med and that was on our test last night." Mom said she credited the word knowledge to me and they went back out to the waiting room. The next time they called for my student they referred to her as "The future med student, Kenzie."

I have about 4 of these stories a week. I think I may start writing a book. I love my kids. A day never passes where I haven't laughed til my stomach hurts.

2 comments:

Tracy Jabbal said...

LOVE IT!
don't you just love it when things finally come full circle and you realize that all the things you're doing actually sticks? thats so great. PLEASE write a book!

Emme Jay said...

I just love kids. What a reward for you! And, praise God for your Dad's recovery.

Michelle