Thursday, February 28, 2008

Think before you speak? Really?!?

I am in a Wednesday night Bible study that is currently doing a book study. I am usually not a fan of the book study or even a topical Bible study. I want the good stuff. I want to go through books of the Bible exegetically (verse by verse). However, the book we are studying resonates with my soul's desire to be a Godly woman. The book is called By Design by Susan Hunt.

Thus far, the book has been about how Biblical womanhood has been distorted by the past/sin and how many terms such as submission and authority are not accurately defined in the public's mind. The first part of the book explains what actions the church/elders should take to ensure a women's ministry can effectively mentor and protect women.

I am excited to get into the next part of the book that defines the role of a woman as a helper or ezer. I know the Lord has been working on me this past year by teaching me about putting a leash on my tongue. He has taken me through a journey of evaluating the words that come out of my big fat mouth. I have seen how shutting the yapper has enhanced my marriage. I have learned that the things I say to my husband really do effect him strongly and that I should be using those words to give life instead of take it. It applies outside of marriage too, though. How much do I say everyday (at work, at the gym, even at church) that really doesn't give life to those situations. I feel like thinking before I speak is easier to do if I am spending time in the Word and in prayer. I am slower to speak and much quicker to see the conversation for what it truly is . . . a chance to share my love for Jesus and what He did for me on the cross through my response to or initiation of conversations.

If you know me, hold me to it. Heck, if you don't know me but are reading, hold me to it. :) These are my ramblings after a full day of evaluating Bible study last night.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I had a day full of similar reflectiton, although I wish mine had been from a book and a bible study rather than an arguement. But that's how we learn, right?